Happy American Heart Health Month!
Remember those resolutions you made a month ago about making healthy choices this year? Well, it’s not too late to start to take proactive steps to improve your health.
1. Walk to the market to do your Sunday shopping this month. It’s cold out but the air is fresh. Take your favorite shopping buddy on a walk to the market for some cardio, great food and good times. A brisk 30 minute walk can make a huge difference. Another added bonus of walking – you don’t have to worry about parking!
2. Keep your dog’s heart healthy too – take them for a long walk or hike! Taking your dog for a walk is great exercise for you AND your dog. Show them a little extra love this month by taking them out for longer than usual. Feel free to walk your dog to the market and reward them with some all natural dog treats from Painted Hand Farm or Liberty Delight Farms.
3. Eat a big, colorful salad for dinner. We have known for a long time the benefits of adopting a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. They are low in calories and sodium and high in vitamins and fiber, all benefits for your heart. Adding lean protein to your salad will keep you full (like chicken, turkey or fish). Don’t forget to load up on veggies. Think beets, squash, kale, parsnips, mushrooms, carrots and more! We suggest sautéing some mushrooms (lots available at The Mushroom Stand) lightly in olive oil on a high heat and adding them to your salad at the last-minute. The combination of flavors and different temperatures is fabulous.
4. Upgrade your breakfast. A healthy breakfast combo includes whole grains, low-fat protein, low-fat dairy, and fruits and veggies. Enjoy breakfast at the market from The Culinary Nomad or Rita’s Crepes and ask about the healthiest options on their menus. Ingredients to make a healthy breakfast – like yogurt, eggs, whole grain bread, etc. – are readily available at the market.
5. Drink healthy. Cut out the sodas, which are high in fructose, and add healthy drinks like water, low-fat milk and fresh juices. Below is one of our favorite veggie juice recipes.
Central Farm Market Heart Healthy Veggie Drink
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen fresh mango
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana, cut up
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Cook broccoli until tender. Rinse with cold water until cooled. Drain.
- In blender, place 1/3 cup of the cooked broccoli and remaining ingredients. Blend on high-speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses. Serve immediately. For a frozen version, add some ice cubes!