Green Tables Cooking Demos
Local chefs, including Chef Karen Lippold, Aviva Goldfarb and Drew Faulkner will be demoing some delicious dishes alongside the culinary garage sale at the Green Tables Cooking Demos.
At 10am Chef Karen Lippold will use market ingredients to create a Baby Spinach Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Beets and Oranges. Chef Karen is a former Peace Corps volunteer from West Africa who has lived abroad for over 20 years and has worked with indigenous people to learn about their cultures and respective cuisines.
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. peeled sweet potatoes, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 ½ lbs. of fresh beets, peeled and cut into 1 inch wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 8 ounces of baby spinach (washed and dried)
- 3 cups orange sections (about 6 oranges)
- 3 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- 4 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. orange blossom honey
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400
- Combine first 4 ingredients, tossing well.
- Place potato mixture on a jelly-roll pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place beet wedges on a different jelly-roll pan lived with parchment paper.
- Bake veggies at 400 for approx.. 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from oven and let veggies cool; discard garlic cloves
- To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well with a whisk.
- Plate Spinach leaves, red onion, oranges and roasted veggies on a platter.
- Drizzle salad dressing over salad
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over salad
At 11am Aviva Goldfarb will demo a Spice Rub that you put on Sweet Potato Fries. Aviva is a family dinner expert, author, entrepreneur, mother and is the creator of the Six O’Clock Scramble. She was also a judge at Bake Bethesda a Pie Contest this year!
At 12pm Drew Faulkner will make Stewed Peppers and Tomatoes over Soft Polenta. Drew is a Chef Instructor at L’Academie de Cuisine who teaches recreational classes in Asian & Italian cuisines. This stewed peppers and tomatoes dish combines the last peppers, tomatoes, and herbs of the summer harvest.