Namaste Central Farm Markets lovers and shoppers! I’m happy to guest blog for Central Farm Markets this week and super exited for our partnership this summer. Yup, it’s that time of year again! Not only is it a wonderful time to hit your local farmers market (Pike Central and/or Bethesda Central of course), but we are back at it with our FREE outdoor yoga classes at Pike Central Farm Market.
Last September, we had tons of fun and a great turnout at our outdoor classes. This summer, we are happy to participate again and offer 3 classes in June and July. Classes will be on the grassy patch in the center of Pike Central Farm Market on Saturdays: June 8, July 13 and July 27 from 11:00am – 11:45am. Please bring your own yoga mat, sunscreen and a friend! Each week, we’ll have a teacher from my yoga studio, extendYoga (less than 1.5 miles from the market!), lead the class. Check out all the details here.
So when the (awesome) crew over at Central Farm Markets reached out for a blog post about the health benefits of yoga, I thought to myself — wow, I could write for days about this! There are SO MANY benefits. I decided to pick my 5 favorite benefits of yoga:
- Increase flexibility: Since most yoga poses will lengthen the ligaments, tendons and muscles in your body, you will notice an increase in your body’s flexibility when practicing yoga. The more flexible and strong your muscles are, the less likely you are to injure yourself during other physical activities and in your daily life.
- Reduce stress: Yoga is not just an exercise for the body but also for the mind. Yoga focuses on controlling your breath, which allows the body AND mind to relax. Relaxation = less stress. Don’t we all need this?!
- Better mood: Feeling sad? Like almost any exercise, you feel great afterwards! Yoga increases serotonin levels and makes you happy. Some times my favorite part of my day is seeing students come out of class with that “yoga high” or “yoga glow.” It’s addicting!
- Increase physical strength: This goes hand in hand with flexibility and working your muscles. I never knew where my arm muscles were hiding until I added a consistent yoga practice into my life. Many yoga poses require not only focus and balance, but physical strength. We use our own body weight and use muscles that we might not be using very often, in turn, toning and defining our muscles from head to toe!
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being a hot yoga junky, I love to sweat. But have no fear, a good yoga class/practice will have you sweating no matter what the temperature in the room is! Yoga is a great way to supplement your regular exercise routine and help keep your body lean, healthy and maintain your desired weight.
This blog post was written by Arlet Koseian, who is a small business owner and a lover of food, friends, pop culture, and of course, yoga. She spends most of her time at her yoga studio, extendYoga, and teaches yoga classes in the community. To learn more about Arlet or take a class at her studio, check out extendYoga.com.